Sign up today and we'll send you a 10% discount code towards your first purchase.
Our chawans are expertly crafted locally by our friends Muddy Walrus in St. Petersburg FL.
Each chawan is hand made and has its own personality, no two bowls are the exact same, making your chawan uniquely yours!
1. ✂️ Open the Bag
- Tear open the 30g Johnny Matcha bag and pull out the silver bag inside.
- Shake the silver bag 2-3 times, flicking downward to loosen the matcha powder.
2. 🍵 Transfer Matcha
- Carefully cut open the silver bag to avoid spilling the matcha powder.
- Transfer the powder into the Johnny Matcha bag.
3. 💧 Soften Chasen (if using)
- Soak the bristles with hot water for roughly 1 minute to ensure the bamboo is soft enough before whisking your matcha.
4. 🥄 Measure Matcha
- Use 1 level teaspoon or two almond-sized chashaku scoops (traditional bamboo scooper).
- Place the matcha into your chawan (matcha bowl) or cup.
5. 🌪️ Whisk or Shake Matcha
- For a Chasen (matcha whisk): Pour 2 oz of water over the matcha powder (70-80°C or 160-175°F). Whisk in a "W" motion until the matcha is smooth and frothy.
- For an electric whisk or shaker: Add 2-4 oz of water first, then the matcha. Blend or shake until no visible clumps can be seen and the matcha is frothy.
6. 🥛 Customize Your Matcha
- Top off with more water to dilute if needed, or add milk/alternative milk to create a matcha latte.
7. 🥤 Enjoy!
8. ❄️ Store Properly
- After using the matcha, make sure to zip the Johnny Matcha bag closed and store it in the refrigerator.
📌 *To maximize the flavor and texture of your matcha, consume within 3 weeks after opening.
🌟 Usucha: Light & Frothy 🌟
1. Sift 2g (1 tsp) of matcha into a chawan (matcha bowl).
2. Pour 65g (2.3oz) of hot water (175°F) into the bowl.
3. Whisk using a chasen (Japanese whisk) in a "W" motion until the matcha is smooth with a fine foam.
🍃 Koicha: Rich & Creamy 🍃
1. Sift 4g of matcha into a chawan (matcha bowl).
2. Add 35g (1.23oz) of hot water (175°F) to the bowl.
3. Whisk gently using a chasen (Japanese whisk) in a "W" motion to achieve a paint-like consistency. (No foam should be present)
❄️ Iced Tea / Iced Latte: Cool & Refreshing ❄️
2. Pour 3-4 oz of cold filtered water into the bowl.
3. Whisk using a chasen (Japanese whisk) in a "W" motion until the matcha is smooth and well-blended.
4. Pour over ice water for iced tea, or iced milk for an iced latte.
🔥 Hot Tea / Hot Latte: Warm & Inviting 🔥
1. Sift 1 tsp (2g) of matcha into a chawan (matcha bowl).
2. Pour 3-4 oz of hot water (175°F) into the bowl.
4. Top with additional hot water for hot tea, or steamed milk for a hot latte.
Enjoy these delightful tea recipes and immerse yourself in the world of tea cultivars!
A tea cultivar is a unique strain of the Camellia sinensis plant, selected for production based on its distinctive features. Now, let's explore some delicious ways to enjoy your tea!